Dr. Sreenivasa Padiar LM & S (Homoeo) and Dr. Madhava Padiar (M & S) (Homoeo) popularly known as Dr. S. K. Padiar & Dr. M. K. Padiar, sons of Sri. Krishna Padiar, who were private Medical Practitioners in Homoeopathy, established two Institutions namely The Royal College of Homoeopathy Physicians" & 'The free to the poor dispensary" at Market Road, in the heart of the Cochin City as early as in 1920 to propagate Homoeopathic System of Medicine in this part of the country. They were veteran Homoeopathic Physicians of the erstwhile Cochin State. "The Royal College of Homoeopathic Physicians" was later renamed as "Dr. Padiar Memorial Homoeopathic Medical College.
During the year 1975 the College was transferred to the Kasimutt Samsthan, Banaras and from then onwards the Board of Trustees appointed from time to time by His Holiness Sreemad Sudhindra Theertha Swamiji of Kasimutt Samsthan, Banaras, the religious pontiff of the Gowda Saraswatha Brahmin Community manages this College.
This College has been accorded the status of Linguistic Minority Institution by Government of Kerala wide its order Rt No. 792/83/HD dtd. 28-3-1983.
This College grew up to the present position step by step from the year 1920 under the dedicated and selfless service and leadership of the Padiar family members, as Principals of the College from time to time, its first Principal being Dr. S.K. Padiar up to the year 1966. Later his son Dr. S. B. Padiar was the Principal upto 1975 and then his brother Dr. S.N. Padiar was the Principal till his death in February 2000.
Since the College was founded by "Padiar" brothers Dr. S.K. Padiar and Dr. M. K. Padiar, in token of respect and memory of its founders, the first Board of Trustees appointed by His Holiness Sreemad Sudhindra Theertha Swamiji decided to change the former name of the College ie. "Royal College of Homoeopathic Physicians" to the present name "Dr. Padiar Memorial Homoeopathic Medical College" and it was confirmed by the GO (MS) No. 271/75/HD. dated 4.11.1975 by the Government of Kerala.
From the year 1920 to 1978 the College was functioning in a building at Dr. Padiar's Compound, Market Road in the heart of Kochi City. Later in 1979 the College was shifted to Chottanikkara, in a hillock, near the famous Devi Temple of Chottanikkara Bhagavathy after putting up sufficient buildings of about 30000 sq.ft. in own land of about 6 V4 acres, A Ladies Hostel building with about 14450 sq.ft. within the college campus has also been commissioned during the year 2009
The Course offered so far by the College are:
1. DHM - Diploma in Homoeopathic Medicine - 3 year Academic & Sixmonths Internship from 1966-1970.
2. DHMS (Old Scheme) - Diploma in Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery - 4 years Academic & Six months Internship from 1970-1983.
3. DHMS (New Scheme) - Diploma in Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery - 3 years Academic & Six months Internship from 1983-1990.
4. BHMS (Graded) - Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery -18 months Academic & Six months Internship - Eligibility for admission - Diploma in Homoeopathy.
5. BHMS Degree - 41/2 years Academic and one year Internship from 1994 onwards.
The College is affiliated to Mahatma Gandhi University vide
Approved By: Central Council of Homoeopathy
Affliated To: KUHS
Campus Area: 6.25